So….I’ve been making red velvet cupcakes for a while now, since there’s been some serious craze about it. Especially the Wolves Cafe kind of craze. Bake Love Not War helped me with this by supplying a perfect recipe. I used her recipe time 3, to make wonderful red velvet cake for my nephews christening. Pics to follow soon.
Try it out, it really isn’t difficult.
- 1.5 cups of cake flour
- 1cup of sugar
- 10g cocoa (about 1/8 cup)
- 1/2 cup of milk 113g butter (at room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp baking powder red food colouring.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Set aside a 12-cup cupcake tray with cupcake liners. In a large-ish bowl, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy and white (this should take about 3 minutes with an electric mixer).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each one is added.
- Add red food colouring to the milk until the milk is bright red.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk.
- Now it’s time to spoon the batter into the cupcake liners. They should be about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
- 85g butter (at room temperature)
- 110g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk, depending on the consistency you want
- Cream the cream cheese with a mixer for about 1 minute.
- Add the butter and beat until the two are smoothly combined.
- Add the brown sugar and mix it in.
- Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, mixing after each cup.
- Add milk according to your preference.
- Ice your cupcakes!